On March 15th we had a live course which was recorded and is now available here.
The hour and a half course was presented by Dr. Lynn Lafferty, Endowed
Professor, Pharmacist and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Judi Woolger, MD,
Internal Medicine and Concierge Medicine Physician and Ellen Kamhi, PhD,
RN, AHN-BC, AHG, The Natural Nurse®.
We first reviewed the Important Components of the Immune System. Although
some may have felt the first part of the webinar a bit complex, we think it
is important that everyone has a basic understanding of how the immune
system works. This is important in order to comprehend the complexity of
the blood circulatory system, and how vaccines and natural immune-builders
Below are the highlights of what we discussed as well as the recording of the course.
- Critical Components of the immune System: White Blood Cells, Red Blood Cells, Bones, Thymus, Spleen, Lymphatic system, GI health, B cells from GI and T Cells from the thymus, macrophages, and other cells.
- Most Important Nutrients to get from foods in this pandemic are those with High Vit. D and C, Zinc and Calcium.
- Sleep is one of the most important immune builders as it in enhances your immune cells to do their job.
- Most Important Vitamins and Minerals for Immune system:
a. Vitamin D (Vitamin D is a vital part of the immune system, most people who die in the hospital from infection are low in vitamin D)
b. Zinc (Forms a protection from viruses from entering the body, but also blocks replication many different ways, powerful immune builder)
c. Vitamin C (Fortifies the immune system, also acts as an antioxidant when the immune system is out of control as in a cytokine storm)
d. Vitamin E (Helps build the immune system as we age, helps build T cells and immune system, it is a potent antioxidant which slows aging and helps when the immune system is out of control, and always shows up in nature with selenium)
e. Selenium (Boosts the immune system, a powerful antioxidant and helps fight off some pathogenic infections)
f. Calcium (The igniter of the immune system, good to take when you first feel ill).
- How to Use Your Kitchen and Garden: Immune builders and natural antibiotics can be grown and prepared in a garden or kitchen windowsill.
- A suggested list to get you started:
1. Garlic – Has anti-viral and immune boosting properties2. Oregano – Has powerful antimicrobial, antiviral and fungal activity effects
3. Basil – Has powerful antibacterial effects
4. Vinegar – Has antioxidative, antidiabetic, antimicrobial, antitumor, anti-obesity, antihypertensive, and cholesterol‐lowering response
5. Olive Oil and Olive Leaf – Has antimicrobial and anti-viral activity
6. Thyme – Has powerful antimicrobial, antiviral and fungal effects
7. Lemongrass – Has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Important Herbal Remedies and Products:
a. Mushrooms (Reishi, Turkey tail, Cordyseps and others) stimulate cellular immune system
b. Epimune Complex® – (Product made with maitake and turkey tail mushrooms) These mushrooms stimulate phagocytosis and Natural Killer cells to remove bacteria and viruses.
c. Echinacea – (*Do not use if allergic to daisy family) has profound effects on increasing immune cells and getting them to the cite of infection.
d. Calcium – (Helps stimulate and regulate the immune system) is very important at the beginning of an infection at stimulating antibodies.
e. Elderberry – (Studies show effectiveness in coronaviruses, flu and cold) has shown to help decrease viruses and bacteria.
f. Oregano Oil – (Historically known for their antimicrobial activity, antiviral and antifungal properties) has recently proven to have potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic and cancer suppressor agents.
g. Eucalyptus Oil – (long known for antimicrobial activity, antiviral and antifungal properties) Studies show effectiveness in coronaviruses.
h. Congaplex® – (Bovine Thymus, bone, adrenal, mushrooms, calcium, buckwheat (high in vitamin C and flavonoids), wheat germ and many vitamins) This product is most effective when you first get ill. The thymus tissue components activate the immune system.
i. Immuplex® – (Bovine and Ovine spleen, bone and thymus, many vitamins and minerals) boosts the Immune system, because the spleen is responsible for activation of key components of the immune system.